Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fear the Fist of Khonshu

So I have a guilty pleasure, comic books. I've been collecting them since I was a kid but it wasn't until recently that I found myself enjoying reading them. I know that sounds odd but all I cared about was how cool they looked as a kid. As I got older I didn't collect anything except Ninja Turtles. Eventually I collected every issue and have read most of them. I needed to try something else.

I decided Batman was a great place to start. So I grabbed a few Batman trades and went to town. After several of those I thought I might switch series up a bit. I remembered I always liked Moon Knight so I got a trade of his newest series. I read through the first book and half the second one. It took place in the present and made references to stuff that happened in the previous series. So I decided to pick up this little book to clear up my questions.


As the cover states it contains Moon Knight issues #1-10 and all of his appearances before he had his own series. Some of them were in Hulk magazine and the others were randomly throughout other characters comics. It's a massive book and it took me longer to read it then any of the trades thus far. It's also all in black and white which can get to someones eyes after awhile.

I just finished the book recently and I thought I'd write a little review on it. It's been awhile since I read the earlier parts of the book but I remember it well enough. I'm gonna do a break down of each issue and my thoughts on it.



Werewolf by Night #32-33 - This is the first comic he's ever appeared in. It features him as a villain at first and then later he redeems himself. This story is okay but since I had no interest in the Werewolf or any of his friends I found myself skimming till I got to the parts about Moon Knight. I also thought The Committee were lame villains.


Marvel Spotlight #28-29 - Here Moon Knight fights a guy named Conquer Lord. He gets all his dialogue from the book "What to Say if Your Evil". He's really lame and I found this story to be pretty stupid.


Spectacular Spider-Man #22-23 - I forgot what happened in these issues. I think Spider-man acts like a twat and they fight some lame dude named Cyclone if I remember correctly.


Marvel Two-In-One #52 - Here he teams up with The Thing. They fight some dude named Crossfire. He's pretty lame, apparently someone Moon Knight knew before he was MK. Honestly in all these issues Moon Knight is pretty one dimensional. He has no depth to him he just flies around in a helicopter and acts like a rip off of Batman. We get to see his cross identities a bit which is what helped me like his character but he wasn't fully developed yet. Also may I add The Thing must be retarded. He rides in a cab driven by Moon Knight's cabbie identity Jake Loceky all the way to the warehouse the bad guy is in. Moon Knight shows up inside and they beat the bad guy. Then he goes outside and Jake just happens to be there waiting for him. Hmmm he couldn't possibly be Moon Knight no way, all cabbies like to sit outside warehouses in bad parts of town for several hours, yes hours they get knocked out at one point.


Hulk Magazine #11-15, 17-18, and 20 - Here is where Moon Knight started to get good. It took some patience on my part to get this far but I did. The first story was a mystery that wasn't to bad. My main issue is it lasted way too long. However the second arc is where it really shined. The artwork got gritty and the story was just great. It profiled a serial killer who was obsessed with murdering nurses. It got inside the killers head and the plot twist is good, even if predictable. It explains more about Moon Knight's past. That was the kind of Moon Knight story I had been looking forward to.


Marvel Preview #21 - This one was about guys who have neural emitters in their brains that causes them to go psycho and their strength to increase. It's alright but too long and boring.


#1 - The origin is explained. Not a bad story. Bushman is a wicked villain but he gets captured a little too easily. The Khonshu aspect is neat but my problem lies in that they changed his origin later. In this story he is powerful according to the phases of the moon because he got bit by the werewolf in the first issue he's in. Later they changed it to when he dies he's brought back by Khonshu and gets his moon powers from that. They tried to keep the super natural elements, besides the werewolf, out of Moon Knight. It's not until many issues into his series that they even scrap the surface of it.

Alright I'll do the rest later that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment